Manager, Software Engineering - Platform 20-0029
We are Relativity. A market-leading, global tech company that equips legal professionals with a powerful platform to organize data, discover the truth, and act on it. The U.S. Department of Justice, 198 of top 200 U.S. law firms, and more than 70 Fortune 100 companies are among our customers who trust Relativity during litigation, internal investigations, and compliance projects.
Our SaaS product, RelativityOne, has become the fastest-growing product in the company's history and we have consistently been named a great workplace. As we grow, we continue to seek individuals that will bring their whole self to our team atmosphere.
Join us in the transformation of the legal industry and play a pivotal role in shaping the future of the practice of law and beyond.
The Manager, Software Engineering is responsible for building and leading a highly effective team of software engineers, and working with departmental contacts to support the demands of the department and meet the objectives of the product development process. The engineering manager is responsible for the professional development of their reports and is the subject matter expert for the product features they are involved in.
The Platform Team
Relativity Platform team develops core services and extensibility points used by the Relativity developer community. These services are delivered through HTTP APIs and SDKs, which are then used by internal teams, Relativity customers, and ISVs to extend Relativity and create unique products for their customers.
The Platform team focuses on API development, user authentication, service and application management, component infrastructure and other core functions related to a large commercial software application being deployed in the cloud. As a member of the Platform group, you will use modern methodologies (agile scrum, CI etc.) to release these features, supporting the success of the Relativity product and our developer community.
Responsibilities: Focus On Product Delivery
- Contributes to the product roadmap and uses it to bring purpose to the team and their backlog
- Has effective ability to scope and drive features and products, delivering updates
- Deliver results, within time and scope, and brings visibility through regular reporting
- Accountability behind the features and products they own
- Develop deep software product knowledge within their team’s area of ownership
Makes Effective Decisions
- Display an ownership mindset; Be accountable for and beyond the features your team develops
- Uses independent judgment to develop strategic vision within multiple feature sets or domains
- Implements operational policies and directives
- Leads a team of software engineers
- Validates resource utilization to assure efficient deployment of team members
- Tackle significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires analysis of intangibles and providing direction on actions to be taken
Promotes Personal Development
- The Manager, Software Engineering is responsible for the professional development of their team under them and is the subject matter expert for the product features they are involved in
- He or she will work collaboratively with their team to identify and develop the talents of each individual team member
Build High Performing Teams
- Responsible for building and leading a highly effective team of software engineers, and working with departmental contacts to support the demands of the department and meet the objectives of the product development process
- Keep your team’s vision aligned with bigger picture in mind
Aligns Goals With Strategy
- Serve as technology advisor to the business on all aspects of software technology trends and novel solutions specific to their respective domain or feature set
- Stay on the top of the latest technological progress and use this knowledge to ensure company products and software solutions remain marketable and competitive
- Be a subject matter expert in your area of our product
- Use long term strategic thinking to guide and develop your team to help them meet overall product goals
- Exercises a significant latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical assignments
- Be innovative. Think outside the box the when crafting solutions and considering impact
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science or related disciplines
- 4+ years of experience managing software product development teams
- 10+ years of software development of commercial-grade systems and applications with a proven track record of building and leading successful engineering teams
- Experience managing remote teams or individual staff in remote locations is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering discipline, including the latest programming languages, object-oriented programming, hands-on architecture high-performance, fault-tolerant distributed systems, data structures and algorithms, operating systems, distributed database modeling and access languages, cloud environments such as SaaS
- Strong teamwork and partnering skills for cross-group collaboration
- Strong Leadership skills, ability to perform under the pressure and optimize the team's resources to attain the business goals
- Ability to motivate people, instill accountability and achieve results
- In depth knowledge of agile product development methodologies
- Strong verbal, presentation, and written communications skills for technical and non-technical audiences