Staff Software Engineer - Cloud Development
At Relativity, we make software to help users organize data, discover the truth, and act on it. Our e-discovery platform is used by more than 13,000 organizations around the world to manage large volumes of data and quickly identify key issues during litigation, internal investigations, and compliance projects.
Here you can own your career in a community of values-driven people who help our customers around the world solve complex data challenges. If this sounds like the place for you, check out the details of this position below.
The Staff Engineer practices software engineering and leads a team of software developers to apply software engineering best practices and principles to deliver high quality, maintainable, reusable, reliable, performant, and scalable software on schedule. Specifically, this individual will help design and lead the implementation of the project to transform a large complex .NET based software product to use a container based model that can fully take advantage of a cloud environment. It will be best in class using the latest cloud technologies creating a performant, scalable and elastic product. The Staff Engineer works closely with the architecture team and upper management to review and designs using software engineering best practices and processes, and to identify and mitigate risks to the on-time delivery of software. The StaffEngineer will use their expertise to mentor other technical leads to create consistent efficient process for developing these cloud components.
- Collaborate with product architects to design, document, and execute on a containerization strategy.
- Evaluate container and orchestration technologies and make a recommendation of technologies and designs based on the product requirements.
- Develop best practices for implementing and usage of container technologies so that they are consistently implemented across the product by all teams.
- Partners with management and the architecture team to set and communicate team goals and vision aligned to business requirements;
- Takes on independent critical projects which may impact the company's short- and long-term goals and strategies.
- Offers coaching to ensure the teams stays focused and delivers against the goals and design, adapting to changing business requirements.
- Specify non-functional software requirements and analyze all requirements to determine design feasibility within time and cost constraints and mentors others to do the same.
- Estimate software development timelines and be accountable to the timelines by actively managing risks and changing requirements.
- Provide input into system software architecture development by working with Advisory, Principle Engineers and Architecture team as required.
- Design and lead the design of software using abstraction, low coupling and high cohesion, modularization, encapsulation and information hiding, interfaces, and separation of concerns.
- Implement and lead the implementation of software using the practical application of algorithms, defensive programming and exception handling, fault tolerance, design patterns, and best practices of Object-Oriented Design (OOD) and Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) such as SOLID (Single Responsibility, Open-Closed, Liskov Substitution, Interface Segregation, and Dependency Inversion).
- Test and lead the test of software with traceability back to requirements emphasizing the practice of Test Driven Design and the use of autonomous frameworks and Continuous Integration
- Offer solutions to improve agile software development processes and practices (SCRUM) to advance engineering efficiency to maximize resources and reduce expense.
- Provides project and professional guidance and mentoring to team members.
- Provides solutions to varied and ambiguous issues, utilizing judgment to select methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Ensure the adoption and application of software development tools (IDEs, test frameworks, static analyzers, etc.) to improve engineering efficiency to maximize resources and reduce expense.
- Identify and offer solutions to reduce technical debt
- Experience with cloud technologies including containers, orchestration tools, monitoring, delivery pipeline and other technologies used in a container based environment.
- Experience specifically with Docker, Kubernetes and Azure are ideal.
- Ability to understand and design a macro scale architecture of a software technology or product line.
- Ability to works on critical issues and the most complex projects as needed by the organization.
- Ability to decompose larger problems into software development work as self-contained, minimally inter-dependent tasks for team members to implement.
- Ability to segregate software using abstraction and interfaces.
- Ability to efficiently multi-task and manage multiple concurrent tasks by identifying differing priorities relative to changing business need.
- Ability to consistently identify and deliver technical improvement feedback to team members in a supportive and constructive manner to achieve demonstrable results over time.
- Excellent problem solving.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork to facilitate collaborative problem solving amongst team members.
- Excellent verbal and written communication to clearly, succinctly, and completely communicate intent (both technical and non-technical) in interactions with team members and management.
- Excellent time management to ensure time (both his or hers and that of his or her team) is optimally allocated to meet prioritized business need.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Math or other related subject.
- Knowledge and experience in working with Agile development methodology.
- BA/BS or equivalent in Computer Science or related disciplines
- At least 12+ years designing and coding software for commercial-grade systems
- At least 12+ years writing software that tests software in an automated fashion