Systems Engineering Manager-Weekday Night Shift
We are Relativity. A market-leading, global tech company that equips legal and compliance professionals with a powerful platform to organize data, discover the truth, and act on it. The US Department of Justice, 199 of the Am Law 200, and more than 329,000 enabled users trust Relativity during litigation, internal investigations, and compliance projects.
Our SaaS product, RelativityOne, has become the fastest-growing product in the company's history and we have consistently been named a great workplace. As we grow, we continue to seek individuals that will bring their whole, authentic self to our team.
We believe that great talent is not bound by geography and that what you do matters more than where you do it. Relativity has assumed a hybrid work strategy, allowing choice and flexibility for employees to work either from home, a physical Relativity office location (once safe to do so), or a combination of the two, within certain logistical boundaries. Submit your application to learn more from our recruiters or contact us for more details.
Responsible for building and leading a highly effective team of System Engineers and Database Administrators and working with departmental contacts to support the demands of the department and meet the objectives of the Service Delivery department. The manager is responsible for the professional development of their reports and is expected to lead incidents or projects where they will act as the subject matter expert. The manager will also occasionally handle incoming work to address incidents, requests, or changes that would typically be handled by the system engineers or database administrators.
- The Manager is responsible for delivering results for the Site Services department by:
- Acquiring and allocating resources
- Managing personnel development
- Managing advancement and deployment of specific projects, escalations, and daily workload while maintaining SLA metrics
- Actively participating in ongoing work and acting as a subject matter expert
- The Manager performs the following functions, in addition to others, in the administration of their position:
- Ensures resources are allocated based on workload while ensuring priority tasks are addressed
- Validates resource utilization to assure efficient use of team members
- Manages a team of individual contributors to complete necessary duties and is accountable for the achievement of departmental objectives by all subordinates.
- Selects employees and evaluates performance.
- Provides ongoing employee development to ensure efficient operation of the function.
- Guides development staff in promoting high-performance culture and cost-effectiveness across the entire team.
- Specific activities associated with this area of responsibility are:
- Conduct one-on-one meetings to understand how their direct report is doing, any problems they are encountering, any roadblocks or issues they need help with. In other words, engage the employee and see what advice, counsel help, feedback, or encouragement they need
- Meets regularly with members of the project teams to get feedback on the performance of their direct report and any areas for improvement
- Regularly sits in on Scrum meetings to directly observe their direct reports in their working environment and provide feedback on their observations
- Promotes sharing of domain expertise and knowledge across the team
- Provides leadership and expertise about the feature set or domain supported by their team
- Provides counsel to their direct reports regarding career development
- Represents their direct reports in discussions about prospective moves, future assignments, career opportunities, etc.
- Shares information about the company, the industry, the department, major initiatives, etc., and addresses related questions
- Supports their manager by leading special projects and/or providing input regarding possible process improvements, organization changes, resource needs, etc.
- Stays on top of the latest technological progress and uses this knowledge to ensure company products, software, and processes remain available and performant.
- Maintains hands-on technical expertise by making technical contributions to the Team by occasionally handling incoming work to supplement during high workloads or to maintain metrics
- Uses independent judgment to develop strategic vision within their specific feature set or domain
- Implements operational policies and directives
- The Manager may be required to handle level II technical support calls after hours a few times a year.
- If there is an after-hours call, it will go to the level I developer first and then if they are not able to solve it, they can reach out to the level II developer to assist.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Systems Administration, Information Systems, or Computer Science or professional experience equivalent
- 1 to 3 years supporting and maintaining SaaS environments that host commercial-grade systems and applications.
- Strong problem-solving skills, independent thinking
- Strong knowledge of PowerShell, Python, or other automation and scripting languages is a plus
- Knowledge with Jenkins and Chef
- Experience with utility cloud software
- Knowledge of SQL Server and SQL query skills
- Knowledge with Docker/Kubernetes
- Knowledge of Windows Systems Administration is a plus
- Knowledge of Linux Systems Administration is a plus
- Strong teamwork and partnering skills for cross-group collaboration
- Ability to contribute to a motivating environment that instills accountability
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience troubleshooting software and cloud or SaaS technologies
- Experience with No-SQL solutions is a plus
- Experience or certifications for ITIL processes is a plus