Manager, Software Engineering 20-0094
We are Relativity. A market-leading, global tech company that equips legal and compliance professionals with a powerful platform to organize data, discover the truth, and act on it. The US Department of Justice, 199 of the Am Law 200, and more than 329,000 enabled users trust Relativity during litigation, internal investigations, and compliance projects.
Our SaaS product, RelativityOne, has become the fastest-growing product in the company's history and we have consistently been named a great workplace. As we grow, we continue to seek individuals that will bring their whole, authentic self to our team.
We believe that great talent is not bound by geography and that what you do matters more than where you do it. Relativity has assumed a hybrid work strategy, allowing choice and flexibility for employees to work either from home, a physical Relativity office location (once safe to do so), or a combination of the two, within certain logistical boundaries. Submit your application to learn more from our recruiters or contact us for more details.
The Manager, Software Engineering is responsible for building and leading a highly effective team of software engineers, and working with departmental contacts to support the demands of the department and meet the objectives of the product development process. The engineering manager is responsible for the professional development of their reports and is the subject matter expert for the product features they are involved in.
- The Manager performs the following functions, in addition to others, in the administration of their position:
- Is a leader for one or two Scrum teams, with deep understanding of Agile principles and ability to lead self-managing team effectively
- Allocates resources based on requests from Scrum teams
- Leads a team of software engineers and/or architects to be effective in the design and development of software applications and systems per business demands and requirements
- Manages a team of individual contributors to complete necessary work as requested by Scrum teams.
- Selects employees and evaluates their performance
- Provides ongoing employee development to ensure efficient operation of the function
- Guides development staff in promoting high performance culture and cost effectiveness across the entire team.
- Conducts one-on-one meetings to understand how their direct report is doing, any problems they are encountering, any roadblocks or issues they need help with, how they are doing on their Scrum team, etc. In other words, engage the employee and see what advice, counsel help, feedback, or encouragement they need
- Promotes sharing of domain expertise and knowledge across the team
- Provides technical leadership and expertise about the feature set or domain supported by their team
- Provides counsel to their direct reports regarding career development
- Represents their direct reports in discussions about prospective moves, future assignments, career opportunities, etc.
- Shares information about the company, the industry, the department, major initiatives, etc., and addresses related questions
- Supports their manager by leading special projects and/or providing input regarding possible process improvements, organization changes, resource needs, etc.
- Serves as technology advisor to the business on all aspects of software technology trends and novel solutions specific to their respective domain or feature set. Stay on the top of the latest technological progress and use this knowledge to ensure company products and software solutions remain marketable and competitive
- Maintains hands-on technical expertise by making technical contributions to the software design, development and integration of applications and systems through the Scrum team construct
- Uses independent judgment to develop strategic vision within their specific feature set or domain
- Implements operational policies and directives
Specific activities associated with this area of responsibility are:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related disciplines
- 8+years of software development of commercial-grade systems and applications with a proven track record of building and leading successful engineering teams