Principal Applied Scientist- AI (remote)
Are you looking for a hybrid or remote work opportunity? Are you interested in a workplace that allows for flexibility in your day? Are you ready for a workplace that provides benefits that suit your needs?
About AI at Relativity
In the past two years, billions of documents have already benefited from the insights of Relativity AI – and we are just getting started on our journey to use AI to improve each user experience, product, matter, and investigation at Relativity. We are focused on helping our users discover the truth more quickly, and act on data with confidence.
We are focused on algorithm excellence, to provide the most robust and trusted experience possible.
We are creating a world-class toolset to solve complex challenges quickly and iteratively.
AI will be leveraged everywhere, in all stages of the discovery process to better manage cases and optimize product operations.
As a team, we believe in exploration, experimentation, and bringing your curiosity to work every day. We know that you can’t innovate without experimentation — and a little failure happens on the path to invention. We use the latest and greatest to ensure we are the best. We strive to experiment, ship and learn every day.
About Applied Science at Relativity
Relativity’s scale and breadth create tremendous variety for rich data exploration and insights; our market position and scaled products mean our latest and greatest models and insights can quickly be in the hands of our users.
Great insights can’t happen without great data, and the best insights come from massive data. Our data infrastructure and engineering ensure that the breadth of Relativity data is available for insights, confidential data is kept confidential and always protected. We are investing heavily in data pipeline and data lake technology moving forward.
If you’re looking for a data rich environment that is already heavily using AI, with at-scale challenges and a ton of new innovation and experimentation ahead, you will find yourself at home on the AI applied science team within Relativity. The team is small but growing fast; you’ll have a huge impact in shaping the culture, best practices, and vision of how machine learning and AI are utilized at Relativity. You’ll have the freedom to experiment with and participate in deciding which big data, deep learning and information retrieval technologies are right for Relativity on an ongoing basis. We seek collaborative builders who want to move fast and love a challenge.
About the Principal Applied Science Role for AI
The Principal Applied Scientist for the AI group is a strategic position for all of Relativity.
You’ll work both within our team and across the company to leverage our data at scale. You’ll be a company-wide expert on information retrieval, natural language processing, machine learning, and getting the most out of our data to improve our products and customer experience. You’ll be partnering directly with data engineering to create best in class tooling to quickly train, deploy, tune, and measure our models. You’ll inspire software engineers to engage, learn, and focus on big data technologies. You’ll empower our data scientists and data engineers to dream bigger about what’s possible. You’ll help communicate to our customers and within the industry how Relativity is using AI to shape our future. Innovations that you help create and deliver will be running on Relativity’s global cloud footprint, powering billions of insights. You’ll enjoy your time with hands-on leadership of our applied science agenda, establishing internal and external credibility of our AI capabilities, and empowering your teammates through mentorship and coaching.
- Own and facilitate key design decisions related to our machine learning and data science toolset.
- Lead the acquisition, discovery, exploration, documentation, and ultimately utilization of data in all its forms, from thin residues to massive unstructured lakes.
- Encourage innovation and data curiosity and the use of data at scale.
- Prove out the use of new technology via compelling proof of concepts and demonstration.
- Collaborate with our data engineers, product managers, and other engineering teams to bring ideas from proof of concept to scaled solutions.
- Contribute to our technical investments roadmap and help prioritize tech debt and architecture investments.
- Mentor talent within the AI/ML team to promote career development, risk-taking, innovation, and create a culture of learning.
- Advise senior company and technology leadership on innovative tech for either partnership or acquisition.
- 5+ years of experience leading applied science against large data sets in a big data environment solving commercial problems.
- Proven track record of achieving commercial results via innovation; you translate business goals into data science wins.
- Multiple years of hands-on experience (building, deploying) in a non-academic environment; you know how to ship your ideas.
- Excellent presentation communication skills across an organization and up.
- Excellent technical communication skills, proven experience writing documentation and articles that influence across both academia and industry
- Experience and exposure working directly with company executives to inform strategy and maximize your results.
- Experience choosing the best products, tools, and vendors that will accelerate your data science team.
- Fluent in Python, comfortable in R.
- Comfortable working with data at the scale of millions of documents varying from text to image to audio to video.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Information Retrieval, or related research experience
- Passion for data privacy, security, and the law
- Experience training and deploying machine learning models leveraging active learning or pre-trained language models
- Experience with Azure cloud environment and Azure’s data management and data science toolset.
- Experience with privacy-preserving machine learning for documents such as differential privacy or federated learning
Relativity is a diverse workplace with different skills and life experiences—and we love and celebrate those differences. We believe that employees are happiest when they're empowered to be their full, authentic selves, regardless how you identify.
Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
Parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
Flexible work arrangements
Two, week-long company breaks per year
Unlimited time off
Long-term incentive program
Training investment program
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.