Vice President, Research - NLP and Machine Learning
Are you looking for a hybrid or remote work opportunity? Are you interested in a workplace that allows for flexibility in your day? Are you ready for a workplace that provides benefits that suit your needs?
About AI at Relativity
In the past few years, billions of documents have already benefited from the insights of Relativity AI – and we are just getting started on our journey to use AI to improve each user experience, product, matter, and investigation at Relativity. We are focused on helping our users discover the truth more quickly, and act on data with confidence.
We are focused on algorithm excellence, to provide the most robust and trusted experience possible.
We are creating a world class toolset to solve complex challenges quickly and iteratively.
AI will be leveraged everywhere, in all stages of the discovery process to better manage cases and to optimize product operations.
As a team, we believe in exploration, experimentation, and bringing your curiosity to work every day. We know that you cannot innovate without experimentation — and a little failure happens on the path to invention. We use the latest and greatest to ensure we are the best. We strive to experiment, ship, and learn every day.
Relativity’s scale and breadth create tremendous variety for rich data exploration and insights; our market position and scaled products mean our latest and greatest models and insights can quickly be in the hands of our users.
Great insights can’t happen without great data, and the best insights come from massive data. Our data infrastructure and engineering ensure that the breadth of Relativity data is available for insights, confidential data is kept confidential, and data is always protected, and we are investing heavily in data pipeline and data lake technology moving forward.
Our AI team continues to grow and evolve. In 2021, Relativity acquired Text IQ and their industry-leading team of AI researchers. Since then, we have grown the team in both research and applied science, developing tomorrow’s technology as well as integrating today’s best technology into our products and experiences. The combined AI teamis focused on our mission to build the best AI for the world’s most complex and sensitive information.
If you are looking for a data rich environment that is already heavily using AI, with at-scale challenge and a ton of new innovations and experimentation ahead, you will find yourself at home on the AI data science team within Relativity. The team is small but growing fast; you will have an enormous impact in shaping the culture, best practices, and vision of how machine learning and AI are utilized at Relativity. You will have the freedom to experiment with and participate in deciding which big data, deep learning and NLP tools are right for Relativity on an ongoing basis. We seek collaborative builders who want to move fast and love a challenge.
The Role In Action
- The VP of Research will drive all NLP/ML based innovations and research efforts for Relativity.
- You are a proven researcher with a record of accomplishment and know how to lead others to create new products and technologies. You have extensive experience publishing in top academic conference, but value creating products and great customer experiences. You direct your team of researchers, guiding their research efforts, exploration path, and experiments towards creating step function improvements in existing technologies or creating innovative technologies that can be productized.
- You will work closely with business development to identify and acquire or license innovative technologies and develop new alliances that will accelerate Relativity’s AI platform and products.
- You regularly speak with key customers or industry leaders to elevate both Relativity’s brand, demonstrate our industry thought leadership in AI, and attract key talent to Relativity’s growing AI team.
- You will work closely with our Engineering and Product teams to help build AI powered solutions at scale
- You will be a company-wide expert on artificial intelligence, NLP, machine learning, and getting the most out of our data to improve our products and customer experience. You will help communicate to our customers and within industry how Relativity is using AI to shape our future.
- You will enjoy your time coaching your teammates, recruiting new team members, and ensuring that we are maximizing how we think about data science at Relativity.
- Demonstrated history of driving and leading research teams in the development of novel NLP/ML algorithms.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, computational linguistics, or a related field.
- Passion for data privacy, security, or the law/legal industry.
- Experience leading research and product development leadership roles within global companies that develop and sell AI products.
- Experience with privacy-preserving machine learning for NLP applications such as differential privacy or model building on encrypted data.
- Experience in setting and scaling the research and development function, with the proven ability to attract, inspire, motivate, and retain top tier talent.
- Proven ability to establish, articulate and implement a concrete research strategy that clearly aligns with corporate and commercial goals.
- Proven record of accomplishment of achieving commercial results via innovation; you translate business goals into AI wins.
- Has a stellar publishing record of accomplishment of having published extensively at tier A conferences such as ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, SIGIR, KDD, AAAI.
Relativity is a diverse workplace with different skills and life experiences—and we love and celebrate those differences. We believe that employees are happiest when they're empowered to be their full, authentic selves, regardless how you identify.
Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
Parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
Flexible work arrangements
Two, week-long company breaks per year
Unlimited time off
Long-term incentive program
Training investment program
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.