Director Data Science-AI-21-0630
We are Relativity. A market-leading, global tech company that equips legal and compliance professionals with a powerful platform to organize data, discover the truth, and act on it. The US Department of Justice, 199 of the Am Law 200, and more than 329,000 enabled users trust Relativity during litigation, internal investigations, and compliance projects.
Our SaaS product, RelativityOne, has become the fastest-growing product in the company's history and we have consistently been named a great workplace. As we grow, we continue to seek individuals that will bring their whole, authentic self to our team.
We believe that great talent is not bound by geography and that what you do matters more than where you do it. Relativity has assumed a hybrid work strategy, allowing choice and flexibility for employees to work either from home, a physical Relativity office location (once safe to do so), or a combination of the two, within certain logistical boundaries. Submit your application to learn more from our recruiters or contact us for more details.
About AI at Relativity
In the past two years, billions of documents have already benefited from the insights of Relativity AI – and we are just getting started on our journey to use AI to improve each user experience, product, matter, and investigation at Relativity. We are focused on helping our users discover the truth more quickly, and act on data with confidence.
· We are focused on algorithm excellence, to provide the most robust and trusted experience possible.
· We are creating a world class toolset to solve complex challenges quickly and iteratively.
· AI leveraged everywhere, all stages of discovery to better manage cases and optimize product operations.
About Data Science at Relativity
Relativity’s scale and breadth create tremendous variety for rich data exploration and insights; our market position and scaled products mean our latest and greatest models and insights can quickly be in the hands of our users.
Great insights can’t happen without great data, and the best insights come from massive data. Our data infrastructure and engineering ensure that the breadth of Relativity data is available for insights, confidential data is kept confidential, and data is protected at all times, and we are investing heavily in data pipeline and data lake technology moving forward.
If you’re looking for a data rich environment that is already heavily using AI, with at-scale challenge and a ton of new innovation and experimentation ahead, you will find yourself at home on the AI data science team within Relativity. The team is small but growing fast; you’ll have a huge impact in shaping the culture, best practices, and vision of how machine learning and AI are utilized at Relativity. You’ll have the freedom to experiment with and participate in deciding which big data, deep learning and NLP tools are right for Relativity on an ongoing basis. We seek collaborative builders who want to move fast and love a challenge.
About the Director for Data Science Role for AI
The Director for Data Science for the AI group is a strategic position for all of Relativity.
You’ll work both within our team and across the company to leverage our data at scale. You’ll be a company-wide expert on artificial intelligence, NLP, machine learning, and getting the most out of our data to improve our products and customer experience. You’ll be partnering directly with data engineering to create best in class tooling to quickly train, deploy, tune, and measure our models. You’ll inspire software engineers to engage, learn, and focus on big data technologies. You’ll empower our data scientists and data engineers to dream bigger about what’s possible. You’ll help communicate to our customers and within industry how Relativity is using AI to shape our future. Innovations that you help create and deliver will be running on Relativity’s global cloud footprint, powering billions of insights. You’ll enjoy your time coaching your teammates, recruiting new team members, and ensuring that we are maximizing how we think about data science at Relativity.
- Recruit and build a large team of data scientists via industry talks and posts, candidate outreach, networking, and partnerships.
- Own and facilitate key design decisions related to our machine learning and data science toolsets.
- Organize the data science team with organization structure and a data science project methodology so we are effective, pragmatic, and efficient.
- Lead the exploration of our datasets to inform prioritization of both data engineering and research projects.
- Collaborate with our data scientists, product managers, and engineering teams to bring ideas from proof of concept to scaled solution.
- Invest data science resources and projects via effective delegation, managing risks, project phasing, and Agile frameworks.
- Elevate our brand via thought leadership activities such as participation in industry panels or customer-oriented white papers, demonstrating our leadership in AI.
- Measure how effectively Relativity’s artificial intelligence solutions work on an absolute basis and vis a vis the competition.
- Advise senior company and technology leadership on innovative tech for either partnership or acquisition.
- Inspire others with a compelling vision of how artificial intelligence can be used in the legal and compliance industries.
- Mentor talent within the AI/ML team to promote career development, risk taking, innovation, and create a culture of learning.
- Encourage data science learning and development across Relativity via knowledge sharing, talks, and guidance on learning paths.
- Meets with customer data science teams to hear feedback and share insights about our data science efforts.
- Prove out the use of artificial intelligence via compelling proof of concepts and demonstration.
- Proven great recruiter; people love to work with you.
- 5+ years of experience leading data science teams against large data sets in a big data environment solving commercial problems.
- Proven track record of achieving commercial results via innovation; you translate business goals into data science wins.
- Multiple years of hands-on experience (building, deploying) in a non-academic environment; you know how to ship your ideas.
- Excellent presentation communication skills across an organization and up.
- Experience and exposure working directly with company executives to inform strategy and maximize your results.
- Experience choosing the best products, tools, and vendors that will accelerate your data science team.
- Fluent in Python, comfortable in R.
- Fluent in big data technologies such as Snowflake, Spark, Hive, Big Query.
- Built a team from the ground-up.
- PhD in mathematics or artificial intelligence.
- Passion for data privacy, security, or the law.
- Experience with Azure cloud environment and Azure’s data management and data science toolset.
- Experience with privacy-preserving machine learning for NLP applications such as differential privacy or model building on encrypted data.
- Experience building NLP solutions at scale, on datasets of 1 to 100 million texts.